Medical cable assemblies are conventional all around the world to connect medical appliances. You will find them in labs, clinics, hospitals, etc. Despite their popularity, not everyone knows about the use of medical cable assembly or the technique behind it.
In this medical cable assembly FAQ, we will answer all medical cable assembly related questions you might have. If you have questions regarding our business or product, you can check our business FAQ section.
Table of Contents
- Ques #1 How do Medical Cable Assemblies Work?
- Ques #2 What is So Unique About Medical Cables?
- Ques #3: What Do They Look Like?
- Ques #4: Are Medical Cable Assemblies Safe to Use?
- Ques #5: How Many Types Of Medical Cable Assemblies Are There?
- Ques #7: What are Communication Interfaces?
- Ques #8: What are Patient Interfaces?
- Ques #9: What About Connectors?
- Ques #10: How Can I Get the Most Flexible Cable?
- Ques #12: How Can I Get The Best Medical Cable Assembly?
- Ques #13: How Can I Protect Medical Cables From Electromagnetic Interference?
- Ques #14: How Much Does a Medical Cable Assembly Cable Cost?
- Ques #15: How Can I Enhance The Life of Medical Cables?
Ques #1 How do Medical Cable Assemblies Work?
Ans: They work by transmitting data or power from one equipment to another. Their main job is to ensure the information or power continues to flow without any disruption so that all the instruments can continue to work how they should work.
The right medical cable assembly has an abrasion-resistant jacket to provide higher durability and lower surface friction.
Ques #2 What is So Unique About Medical Cables?
Ans: Medical cables are specifically designed to withstand autoclave sterilization. They are flexible and resistant to temperature. Moreover, some are also disposable.
Ques #3: What Do They Look Like?
Ans: They look like typical cable harnesses. You will see that medical cable assemblies usually consist of a number of cables branded together. They also have connectors – on at least one end – to make a connection.
Ques #4: Are Medical Cable Assemblies Safe to Use?
Ans: Yes, they are, given that you buy the right medical cable assembly and from the right provider.
They comply with application-specific regulatory and safety standards, such as ISO
10993-1 for the biological evaluation of medical devices.
It is the duty of the buyer to be careful when purchasing medical assembly cables. You must make sure to buy products from a reliable seller and to take care of all rules and regulations.
For example, pick cables made using biocompatible materials if the medical cable assembly you are to use is expected to come into physical contact with a patient.
Ques #5: How Many Types Of Medical Cable Assemblies Are There?
Ans: There are three main types of medical cable assemblies:
• Equipment and sub-assembly interfaces
• Communication interfaces
• Patient Interfaces
Get in touch with us to know more about the right type of medical cable assembly for your organization.
Ques #6: What are the equipment and sub-assembly interfaces?
Ans: These type of cables are long lasting and do not need regular replacements. They usually go with nuclear imaging devices.
Ques #7: What are Communication Interfaces?
Ans: These use modular LAN, serial cables, or fiber optic. RS-485, RS-423, RS-422, and RS-232 are all used in the industry.
Ques #8: What are Patient Interfaces?
Ans: These cables are quite durable but require regular replacements due to wear and tear and performance upgrades.
There are three main types of patient interfaces:
• Use-only interfaces: These include neural simulator lead sets, fetal monitoring cables, electro-surgical devices, and catheters. They are first sterilized and then packaged. They usually come in kits and are generally disposable.
• Limited-use interfaces: These include CCU and ICU monitor cables and ECG diagnostic leads. They can handle a lot of wear and tear but do require replacements as they can sustain damage due to exposure to chemicals and stress.
• Long-life interfaces: As the name suggests, these cables last for an extended period as they are wear-resistant, flexible, and durable. These include cables for ECG diagnostic testing and ultrasound imaging.
Ques #9: What About Connectors?
Ans: Some cables come with connectors, and in some cases, you will have to buy a separate connector. There are different types of connectors available, including:
• BNC connectors: Typically used with older peripheral devices, professional test equipment, and A/V equipment, these are secure locking connectors.
• RJ-45 connectors: These cables transmit data (serial).
• DIN connectors: These are reliable as they adhere to the standards set by the German body, Deutsches Institut für Normung.
• DVI connectors: These transmit video to a display.
Ques #10: How Can I Get the Most Flexible Cable?
Ans: The flexibility of a cable depends on a variety of factors, including the conductor material. After you have defined your cross sections, consider the options you have to strand the various tapes, outer sheath material, shields, and insulation to enhance flexibility.
Since there is no rule or criteria in the books, it is best that you work with your vendor to find the right solution according to your needs.
Ques #11: What kind of problems can I face when using medical cables?
Ans: Some common problems include choosing the wrong cable or connector. You must use a cable according to the environment and use.
It must be able to handle the burden and stress you put it under. Plus, the cable must be the same color as the appliance. It can be a problem if the cable is a different color. Moreover, electromagnetic interference is also an issue that many users face.
Lastly, as mentioned earlier, you must meet all the standards and regulations.
Ques #12: How Can I Get The Best Medical Cable Assembly?
Ans: The key lies in knowing what you need and finding the right vendor. It may also be a good idea to first opt for a sample before you buy in bulk so that you can be sure you are getting your hands on the right product.
Consider searching online to find a reliable seller. Work with someone who creates quality products. We can help you with your search as we offer a wide range of medical cable assemblies. Get in touch with us and let us know what you need.Our products are suitable for all kinds of users. Plus, we’ll answer all your questions and ensure you get products that meet your requirements.
Ques #13: How Can I Protect Medical Cables From Electromagnetic Interference?
Ans: You can use a variety of methods to control EMI noise, which has become a common problem in today’s medical instruments. Some reliable options include:
• Filters: This trick includes finding the frequency of the interfering noise and adding filtering circuits or filters to cancel it. This method is effective as a thin film capacitor and resistor networks are quite good at suppressing unwanted signal noise. However, it may not be feasible in all cases.
• Shrink jackets: Special polyolefin heat shrinkable tubing can reduce interference.
Other techniques include using drain lines and shielding the cables. The right option depends on the level of interference and the cause behind it. You may not be able to handle the problem on your own. Hence it is best to let professionals take care of things.
Ques #14: How Much Does a Medical Cable Assembly Cable Cost?
Ans: As mentioned earlier, there are many types of medical cable assemblies. The cost depends on several factors including the type of cable selected.
Get in touch with us and let us know your requirements to get a reliable quote.
Ques #15: How Can I Enhance The Life of Medical Cables?
Ans: It is essential to be careful and to follow all the guidelines. You need to install the cables carefully and reduce the stress so that the wires do not have to handle a lot of wear and tear.
Our experts can provide you installation and management tips to ensure you do not have to look for a replacement now and then. However, remember that like any other product, medical cable assemblies also have a shelf life.
You will have to upgrade or replace the cables eventually.
These were some of the most commonly asked questions about medical cable assembly. It is imperative to be well aware of the standards and requirements before you make a purchase decision so that you do not have to regret later.
We use medical cable assemblies in all medical settings that involve medical appliances. Choosing the wrong cable can do severe damage to your devices. Plus, it may also impact performance and output.
Work with a reliable vendor to ensure you get the best possible medical cable assembly. At Cloom, we offer affordable and dependable products. Moreover, we also provide customized products designed specifically for you. All our products are safe to use.
Send to email@example.com today to start a conversation.